A five-day course (plus examination day).
The course is usually run in one or two-day sections over a period of four weeks, allowing time for private study and consolidation.
It is advised that candidates already have a level of knowledge and experience of working in a food manufacturing, retail or catering environment and have a minimum of level 2 in literacy or numeracy or equivalent.
This course is beneficial for those who implement, manage and audit food safety management systems, including business owners, managers, production managers and supervisors. The qualification will help develop a level of knowledge and skills that is commensurate with their responsibilities. The syllabus gives candidates a thorough knowledge of hazards and controls to help them develop, implement and monitor food safety procedures.
The course covers:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Contamination
- Food Borne Illness
- Food Handlers and Personal Hygiene
- Staff Training
- Food Hazards and Controls from Purchase to Service
- The Design and Construction of Food Premises and Equipment
- Cleaning and Disinfection
- Pest Management
- Food Safety Management and HACCP
- The Role of the Manager
- Food Safety Legislation and Enforcement
Assessment is a combination of multiple choice questions, and short essay questions.